Searching French Military Cemeteries

Répondre
steve marsdin

Re: Searching French Military Cemeteries

Message par steve marsdin »

Good morning,

I have visited this site many times and thought it was about time I joined !

I can only speak and write basic French (and struggle with tenses !) so please excuse my first post being in English - I will try to wite in French in future.

A friend of mine is researching Jean Abel Cauzid of St Chaptes (Gard), 149e Regiment d'Infanterie, MPLF.

The reason for his enquiry is he is researching all Liverpool University students who died in WW1. Jean Abel Cauzid attended Liverpool University prior to WW1.

I have found a photo of the St Chaptes war memorial and a copy on his MPLF card on the French Government site but my question is:

"Where is Jean Abel Cauzid buried ?"

Regards
Steve Marsdin
Achache

Message par Achache »

Good afternoon,
and welcome, Steve, on this site.
No problem: you may write in english...
There is no "Cauzid" on the site "Sépultures de Guerre", i.e. probably Jean Abal Cauzid isn't buried in a French Military Cemeterie. Perhaps in a "carré militaire" of a civilian cemeterie near Branges (Aisne) or his corpse was sended back to St Chaptes (Gard).
I ask for your question, in french, hier:

pages1418/Pages-memoire-necropoles-MPLF ... 1682_1.htm

Bien à vous...
Regards
Achache
Achache
Émouvante forêt, qu'avons-nous fait de toi ?
Un funèbre charnier, hanté par des fantômes.
M. BOIGEY/LAMBERT, La Forêt d'Argonne, 1915
rem730

Message par rem730 »

Peut on se fier complétement au site Sépulture de Guerre?
Car a la recherche de la Sépulture d'un arrière grand oncle MPLF, je n'ai rien trouvé sur le site. Je les ai donc contacté par mail et une dizaine de jours plus tard il me repondaient avec le nom du cimetière et l'emplacement exact de la tombe de celui ci...
Dans ce cas combien de soldats n'apparaissent pas sur leur site internet et ont en réalité une sépulture nationale...
Ceux qui sont tombés sur les champs de batailles, ont gagnés le droit de vivre pour toujours...
Pour que la mémoire des héros Morts Pour la France soit à jamais conservée.
http://00ledormeurduval00.skyblog.com
http://debarquement02.skyblog.com
steve marsdin

Thanks Achache and Remy - the search continues !

Regards,
Steve Marsdin
Eric Mansuy

Message par Eric Mansuy »

Good evening to you all,

Sorry to interfere, Steve, and I hope I won't disturb you in your quest, having nothing to add to what was written above. Yet, there is one thing one has to bear in mind about the cemeteries listed in "sépultures de guerre", and I'll take the opportunity given to me by Rémy to answer him: NO, not all KIA buried in French cemeteries are listed on this website, unfortunately. When you look for one particular grave or one particular cemetery, you might as well check the lists completed by volunteers at "Mémorial Genweb", assembled from cemeteries registers. Not all of them are listed there, yet again, but they very accurately fill in the gaps of "sépultures de guerre".

Best of luck in your quest with your 149th Infantry soldier: Denis is the right man for you!
Eric
"Un pauvre diable a toujours eu pitié de son semblable, et rien ne ressemble plus à un soldat allemand dans sa tranchée que le soldat français dans la sienne. Ce sont deux pauvres bougres, voilà tout." Capitaine Paul Rimbault.
Marc Pilot

Message par Marc Pilot »

Hello

I think that you would phone or write to Jean Cauzid
04 30 14 24 43
14 av Republique 30190 SAINT CHAPTES

Sincerly
steve marsdin

Merry Christmas and thank you Marc,

I have passed the details to my colleague.

Regards
Steve Marsdin
ww1_USA

Message par ww1_USA »

Hi Steve et bonsoir a tous,
By the way, the IGN Road Atlas of France (think Michelin Atlas of France, but better!) shows war monuments, cemeteries, etc. It is a must for the history buff who wants to road trip through la belle France!
Warmly,
Narayan
www.lulu.com/commerce/index.php?fBuyContent=7870784 - mon livre "American Eagles", 400 pages, 225 photos, etc., environs 15 Euros
www.usaww1.com - American Eagles - the Rise of American Aviation in World War I, 1914-1918
www.usaww1.com/American-Expediti
steve marsdin

Thanks Narayan,

I am fortunate that my wife is Belgian and my in-laws live in the south of Belgium, so I get lots of opportunities to visit Verdun and the Argonnes. The IGN map of the Verdun battlefield is superb.
Steve Marsdin
ww1_USA

Message par ww1_USA »

Hi Steve,
My pleasure. You probably already know this, but they have a whole series of maps and atlases. I repeatedly drove by interesting historical things without realizing they were there. For instance, just off of the A4 between Paris and my mother's house is the chateau where the end of the Franco-Prussian War was signed. It was only after I got my IGN France Atlas that I started realizing how many monuments are all around beautiful France. The Battle of the Marne monument, various "ouvrages" for the Ligne Maginot, etc., are all on there.
Cheers,
Narayan
www.lulu.com/commerce/index.php?fBuyContent=7870784 - mon livre "American Eagles", 400 pages, 225 photos, etc., environs 15 Euros
www.usaww1.com - American Eagles - the Rise of American Aviation in World War I, 1914-1918
www.usaww1.com/American-Expediti
Répondre

Revenir à « English »