Grave : Grab german officer Lt Lüschow

bdl

Re: Grave : Grab german officer Lt Lüschow

Message par bdl »

Hello,
This is a photograph taken by my grand father during the WW1. No idea of the location and the date:
On the sign, we can read, written in german 11 Deutsche and 3 Franzosen and above Lieutenant Lüschow, IR 42.
Is someone able to identified this german Lt Lüschow, belonging to the 42th Infantry Regiment? and especially the date of his death and the location of this grave.
Man thanks
Bertrand
bdl
Johannsen

Message par Johannsen »

Hello bdl,
Ltn. d. Res. Werner Lüschow. 1 / IR42.
Heavily wounded in combats from 26/08/1914 to 29/08/1914 (Cambrai, Hervecourt, Proyart). Obviously, died shortly after being wounded.
Cordialement.
bdl

Message par bdl »

Hello bdl,
Ltn. d. Res. Werner Lüschow. 1 / IR42.
Heavily wounded in combats from 26/08/1914 to 29/08/1914 (Cambrai, Hervecourt, Proyart). Obviously, died shortly after being wounded.
Cordialement.
Many thanks for this answer. Therefore, this photograph comes from Proyart. My grand-father was a physician, working as medecin aide-major in an ambulance closed to the battlefield. He arrives in the Somme area in September 1914 and stays around 6 months in Morcourt, a village at 2km from Proyart. The famous battle of Proyart, lasted one day only, on the 29th August 1914. It was a violent one, between the general von Kluck for the german side and the general Maunoury for the french side. There were more or less 2000 died people for each side. I have seen that just after the battle, the soldiers were burried on site in the fields of Proyart and in the cimetery of Framerville. This photograph has been done probably in the battlefields of Proyart, in October 1914.
Cordialement. Sincerely
Bertrand
bdl
obelix

Message par obelix »

Bonjour/howdy,
I had a look for lieutenant Werner Lüschow at the websiteregister of the German wargraves commission
'Volksbund', but Lüschow is not registered there.
His grave can therefore be considered as lost during the follow up of the war.

Best regards
I prefer to live in peace. Not in pieces.
bdl

Message par bdl »

Bonjour/howdy,
I had a look for lieutenant Werner Lüschow at the websiteregister of the German wargraves commission
'Volksbund', but Lüschow is not registered there.
His grave can therefore be considered as lost during the follow up of the war.

Best regards
Thank you for these precisions. It is true that in this area of the Somme region, a lot of graves have been lost due to the numerous fights in the same location. In the case of Proyart, where these graves were built quicky on the battlefields, end of August 1914, this area was preserved from fights during the 2nd Battle of the Somme in 1916. But it was not the same in 1918. In march 1918, with the offensive launched by Ludendorf, the German Army launched an attack in this area of Proyart an the village was occupied by the germans up to August. In August, it was the great counter-offensive lead by the British Army, and in Proyart there were still fights between the Australian Corps and the Germans. It is possible that these graves ( 15 persons in total) were lost at this moment, definitively.
Best regards
Bertrand
bdl
Répondre

Revenir à « English »