Visiting Vincennes to view Service Historique de la Défense archive re

territoriale

Re: Visiting Vincennes to view Service Historique de la Défense archive re

Message par territoriale »

I would like to visit the SHAD archives at the Chateau de Vicennes to finish my research of French Territorial infantry units.

As it is a long way from England to Paris, I will need to book accommodation and need to plan my visit. Can Forum members who have used the the Service advise me please on what I need to know about visiting there.

While I can read French, my spoken language is not that good. Does Vincennes provide any help for non - French speakers if given warning of the visit?

From reading the SHAD website, I know I need first to apply for a reader’s ticket/library card. Is there anything else I need to do?

I have read all the available JMO on line and the archive catalogues and know the files I want to see.

Thanks

Martin James
romaindemarais

Message par romaindemarais »

Dear Martin,

I go sometimes there and formalities are simple.
First you should pre register online. There is a link to do so.

A few days later you'll get an email with your "reader number"
You'll be then able to order documents online and BOOK A SEAT.

On your fist visit, you'll have to fill in a few forms and bring your ID.

Ok, now searching. Some of the sources/ references are online. It really depends what you're looking for. In general all the references are in the small antiroom where a very nice person will be able to direct you and even get you the right reference. Then you can order the document.

Please note that for visits on week ends documents must be ordered 3 to 5 days the day.

You may order up to 5 docs a day ... so choose carefully!
I do not know the staff's level of English but they are nice and helpful . However they are here to guide not to search or translate for you.

What are you looking for there and when are you planning to go?

In terms of accomodation, the best would be to stay in vincennes but because the archives have a convenient tube station 5 min away you can also stay in Paris in the Nation area... depends on what you plan beside the archives.

If you go on a Saturday I could arrange to be there but you would have to order the docs prior... i can help you with this as well if you could tell me what you need, i can get the exact references on my next vist. .. on saturday.

Just let me know.

Romain
territoriale

Dear Romain,

Thank you for helpful e-mail.

What sort of forms and ID is required on the first visit? As I do not live in France, I may not have the documentation needed.

Fortunately, I have read through all the catalogues and know what 'cotes' I need to see.

I expect my main problem will be that I do not speak French well enough yet to ask for my requests or to understand any guidance given. I will be going to evening classes later to improve my spoken French (I can read enough French to get by). So I will not be going until next year, when the days are longer and warmer.

At Vincennes, I want to look at the records of Army Units for 1914 -1918 to finish my research of Regiments d'Infanterie Territoriale (RIT) – I have some gaps still after reading all the available JMO and Historiques available on-line.

Thank you for your offer of help. I will probably have a short holiday in Paris as well as visiting Vincennes but have no plans or dates yet as to when I will go there..

I do have one question about the SHAD archives – before ordering the following records, I would like to find out what they cover and if they include all RIT battalion situations.

16 N 327
Situations des 5 jours par unités constituées.
août 1914 - avril 1916

16 N 328-329
Situations des 10 jours.
mai 1916 - avril 1919

16 N 330-415
Effectifs : situations rapports des 5 et des 10 jours.
1914-1919

Thanks

Martin
romaindemarais

Hi Martin,

The only ID you will need is a passport as I believe in the UK you are still against the Identity Card :)

I am not familiar with these documents and I doubt the people at the archives will know what they include without opening the file itself.
I will still ask them.

Before you go there, it is still important you pre-register http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defens ... crire.html
You will then receive a "reader number". On your first visit they will then make you fill some paperwork.

Just let me know if you need me to ask any other question, I am going there on 8 December.

Cheers

Romain
territoriale

Romain,

Thanks for your reply, and for your help.

The only other question you could ask for me is whether (or how much) the staff at Vincennes can help non-fluent french speakers with the use of the facilities, collecting requests and filling in the registration forms.

Cheers

Martin
romaindemarais

Romain,

Thanks for your reply, and for your help.

The only other question you could ask for me is whether (or how much) the staff at Vincennes can help non-fluent french speakers with the use of the facilities, collecting requests and filling in the registration forms.

Cheers

Martin
Hi Martin,

I already know the answer of this question!
As long as it is about looking for a document, ordering one etc. the limit will be their level of English.

Surely they will not translate your documents.

Cheers

Romain
Répondre

Revenir à « English »