Monument aux Morts, Verdun

mark

Re: Monument aux Morts, Verdun

Message par mark »

Hello to you all,

In Verdun you'll find this monument of 5 soldiers representing "Monument aux Morts"

Could anyone explain to me what the five soldiers represent? The should be of different armies, but which ones??

Mark
"Le temps est l'architecte, le peuple est le maçon. " (Victor Hugo)

"Some men see the things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not! " (Bobby Kennedy)
Yv'

Message par Yv' »

Hello Mark,

I'm sure someone will have the answer, but for now here is what I found :

Source : http://www.cheminsdememoire.gouv.fr/pag ... alerie=411

Regards,
Yves
mark

Message par mark »

Thank you Yv',

I know that they are 5 different soldiers from different armies. My question is:
Are the five soldiers from different era's of the French army e.g 1814/1848 /1870/1914
Are the soldiers e.g. from artillery, cavalary, genie etc?

There is a difference in helmets en military outfit. I've tried to find any information other than 5 soldiers but helas.

Cordiallement

Mark

"Some men see the things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not! " (Bobby Kennedy)
ww1_USA

Message par ww1_USA »

Hi Mark,
This is just a guess. But the three in the photo all look like WWI soldiers, albeit the one on the right looks like an officer. Supposedly 90% of all regiments or soldiers or something like that passed through Verdun. Thus perhaps the soldiers represent five of the French Armies (e.g. First Army, Second Army, etc.) of France for 1914-1918.
Again, just a guess...
Cheers,
Narayan
www.lulu.com/commerce/index.php?fBuyContent=7870784 - mon livre "American Eagles", 400 pages, 225 photos, etc., environs 15 Euros
www.usaww1.com - American Eagles - the Rise of American Aviation in World War I, 1914-1918
www.usaww1.com/American-Expediti
bruno10

Message par bruno10 »

Bonsoir

here is the answer to your interrogation

"Monument aux Enfants de Verdun morts pour la France »
Inauguré le 1er novembre 1928, ce monument aux morts met en scène cinq soldats représentant les différentes armes : un fantassin, un sapeur du Génie, un artilleur, un cavalier et un territorial.

http://www.tourisme-verdun.fr/verdun--s ... r--14.html
Not easy to give a translation....
I try however...
from left to right
an infantryman, an engineering corps ' sapper, an artillery man, a calvaryman and a member of territorial army.

Cordialement
Bruno
mark

Message par mark »

:hello: Bruno

Thank you very much. Problem solved.

Now I can tell my family and friends the truefully meaning of this magnificent monument.

Cordialement,

Mark :wahoo:

Répondre

Revenir à « English »