FRENCH SOLDIER

johnlauper

Re: FRENCH SOLDIER

Message par johnlauper »

It was suggested on another forum that I post here to see if anyone can identify which regiment(s) and what rank the gentleman in the pictures below was in. I know that he must have been in North Africa at one time as he is wearing a Colonial Medal (with Maroc bar) in the second picture. Also, as he won the croix de guerre (with palm and star) is there any chance of identifying who he actually might be?

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

John Lauper
ImageImage
mireille salvini

Message par mireille salvini »

Hello John,

welcome to this forum,I hope you'll be happy with us :)
my english is rather little,but I would try to help you;

on this photo,we can see a lieutenant because he has 2 stripes on his sleeves;
and as he has like 4 "v" turned upside down on his left arm (in French,they're called chevrons=herringbones),we can say that he was at the Front since 2 years and a half (2+1/2) when he was photographied
the first "chevron"=1 year,the next=6 months of presence in the army zone.

for the "croix de guerre",there isn't list with the soldiers'name who have recieved this medal;
the star means that the soldier has a citation (quotation?) on the regiment or brigade;
the palm means that the soldier has a citation on the army;
the citation,I think you know that,want to reward the soldier for an act of bravery.

he has also a "fourragère" (like braided cordon) in his left shoulder:it means that his regiment has been awarded for acts of bravery (war actions)

well,I hope you understand what I would say with my english :sweat:

best regards,
Mireille

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
j'édite ce message afin de le traduire en gros en français:

sur la photo,on peut voir un lieutenant (2 galons sur la manches)
et comme il a 4 "v" renversés sur la manche gauche,(appelés chevrons),on peut dire que cela fait 2 ans et demie qu'il était au front quand il a été photographié
le 1er chevron=1 an de présence,les suivants=6 mois de présence dans la zone des armées;

pour la croix de guerre,il n'y a pas de liste de noms des soldats ayant reçu cette médaille;
l'étoile correspond à une citation à l'ordre du régiment ou de la brigade
la palme correspond à une citation à l'ordre de l'Armée;
la citation veut distinguer (récompenser) un acte de courage du soldat.

il a aussi une fourragère à l'épaule gauche:cela signifie que son régiment a été distingué pour actes de courage (faits de guerre)

ginger

Message par ginger »

Mireille,

Juste pour préciser:

Une citation = a citation
citer à l'ordre du régiment = to cite

Ne vous inquiétez pas, je suis sure que John a tout compris.

mireille salvini

Message par mireille salvini »

hello John,

others precisions by Jean Riotte who has much more knowledge than me:

-the first photo,it's a lieutenant,it's right.
-the second photo,this lieutenant became a Captain:3 stripes on the top of his kepi.
he belong to an African Unit,exactly a Moroccan Unit:there is a croissant and a cherifin star on the kepi,this symbol is called "tough";
the color of the kepi is light blue;the stripe is green (for Tirailleurs Marocains),yellow (for Tirailleurs Algériens or Tunisiens)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
en français:
voici d'autres précisions de la part de Jean Riotte qui a bien plus de connaissances que moi:
-sur la 1ère photo,c'est bien un lieutenant
-sur la 2ème,ce lieutenant est devenu capitaine:3 ficelles au képi
il appartient à une unité de l'Armée d'Afrique et très exactement à une unité marocaine ( croissant et étoile chérifinne sur le Képi; ce symbole est appelé un "tough")
le képi est de couleur bleu ciel. Liseré vert pour les TM, jaune pour les TA et les TT.

kind regards,
Jean Riotte
Mireille
johnlauper

Message par johnlauper »

Mireille> Thank you very much for your reply to my enquiry. This was very helpful. All I need to find out now is who the picture is actually of! He's definitely a relative of mine, as these pictures belonged to my great grandfather Albert Joseph Lallemant (who also fought in WW1) but they are not of him.

Kind regards

John
peter

Message par peter »

Mireille> Thank you very much for your reply to my enquiry. This was very helpful. All I need to find out now is who the picture is actually of! He's definitely a relative of mine, as these pictures belonged to my great grandfather Albert Joseph Lallemant (who also fought in WW1) but they are not of him.

Kind regards

John
Do you have any more info like: name, first name(s) place and date of birth, place he died etc etc etc?

Cdl

Peter
johnlauper

Message par johnlauper »

Peter> Unfortunately not. I have a suspicion that he might possibly be an unknown younger brother of my great grandfather so his surname would be Lallemant, but I don't know his first name. He would have been born in Paris in about 1875.

Regards

John
Bernard Plumier

Message par Bernard Plumier »

Hi John

The very precise analyse of the picture made by Mireille makes me think that the "Croix de Guerre" with Army and Brigade citations would give that brave Captain a chance to be pictured on the pages of the French Newspaper "L'illustration", that showed pictures of the bravest.

I found only one Lallemant, but acting in an artillery unit, far from the Colonial marks found on your relative's picture.

Could there be any other name (or spelling of the same name) we could be searching for ?

Friendly

Bernard
"- ... On s'amuse bien : tous les soirs nous enterrons nos copains !"
"La Peur" (en permission) - G. Chevalier

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com - http://canonspgmww1guns.canalblog.com/
johnlauper

Message par johnlauper »

Bernard> Many thanks for your message. The surname could be spelt as either Lallement or Lallemand. Another possible surname is Pasquier as this was my great grandfather's mother's name.

Kind regards

John
peter

Message par peter »

I found 1 Lallemant that could be him, although not likely. He is a Luitenant and not a captain when he was killed in 1918. Besides this he was born in Paris in 1871, and acted in the 29th teritorial regiment.

Répondre

Revenir à « English »